In the Housing Choice Voucher Program, commonly known as “Section 8”, Homes for Good provides rental assistance to low-income families accessing a home through the private rental market. To do this, Homes for Good forms a connection between families and landlords. Through the Housing Choice Voucher Program, families maintain secure, quality housing in neighborhoods of their choice.
Under Section 8, Homes for Good pays a fixed amount toward the rent, based on the household income and the applicable payment standard set by the agency. Participants are responsible for finding a suitable unit that:
- Has a gross rent amount that falls within the determined rent limits.
- Can pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection.
What size bedroom is your family eligible for under Section 8 or Project Based Vouchers?
Occupancy and Family Composition will be assessed at the time of full application and will determine your voucher size:
- The head of household, including the spouse or co-head, will be allocated one bedroom.
- All other household members will be based on two (2) persons per bedroom, without regard to gender or age.
- Live-in aides will be allocated a separate bedroom. Family members of a live-in aide will not be considered when determining family unit size.
- Single person families will be allocated one bedroom.